Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Dark Knight of the Soup

Lent is a good time for soups. I've tried my hand at making lintel soup and egg drop soup but don't do as well as my capable administrator, Terry, who makes stellar asparagus soup.

Recently, being a rather obsessive Batman fan, I found a Bat-soup that may be just great for Lent. Here's the recipe:

Batman Black Bean Soup
Serves: 4


1 tsp olive oil

1 medium sized portobello mushroom, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C onion, chopped
2 1/2 C mushroom stock
4 C cooked black beans
salt and pepper to taste
sliced cheese, biscuit cutter, and knife for making the symbol or these cutters
sour cream, optional

I cooked my beans ahead of time in a pressure cooker using this
time chart.  You can use canned beans if you want.  Drain beans.  Heat oil in large pot and add mushroom and onions.  Cook until onions begin to soften.  Add garlic and heat until it just begins to cook.  Deglaze the pan with a little of the mushroom stock and then add the rest.  Add beans.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes; add salt and pepper

Sounds pretty good, right. But here's what it looks like:
The Bat-soup sorta looks like Bat-poop.

Meh. I'd eat it.