Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Attention Guys: Free Book May Save Thousands of Souls.

What do I do when I'm in the Confessional? Other than absolving sins and praying for the lost sheep? I read. Sometimes I text but most times I read. And the book on the left is the latest I've been reading in "the box".

Fr. Matthew Simmons (COMING NEXT WEEK TO GOOD CHEER) is on the Vocations Team for the Diocese and he alerted me to this book this summer as a trial for vocations work at Ole Miss. I expressed some interest and received my copy along with some study materials this summer. The title "To Save A Thousand Souls" had me interested and it turns out it comes from an old adage, "The one who saves a priest, saves a thousand souls".

I actually have enjoyed the book as it honestly tackles some of the questions a man may have about becoming a priest. The author, Fr. Brett Brannen has vocation direction experience and knows all of the pitfalls and concerns a man discerning priesthood.

I passed on a copy to someone this week and he told me he's enjoyed it so far. So here's my offer:
If any guy wants a copy, let me know and I'll get you one. I would like to maybe have a study group with the book as the center. You know. Just guys, sitting around, talking about God, celibacy and obedience. Just regular guy stuff.

Email me if you want a copy: tonos@stjohnoxford.org. It could save your soul...and maybe thousands!

Addendum:I should have mentioned that this book is written specifically for men who are thinking about the DIOCESAN priesthood. It's not for guys who may want to be a Franciscan, Benedictine, Glenmary or Jedi. It's for men who are interested in serving a diocesan bishop. Religious orders are usually responsible enough to have publications for their particular order (men and women).