Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Ruined

For some reason, I've been less than excited about "The Dark Knight Rises" movie.

Maybe it's because Bane is one of those enemies that I've never liked. He came on the scene a little after my rapid comic reading time and the last movie with him in it sort of ruined it for me. I admit, I do like his comic book persona in "Secret Six" but that's been cancelled.

I also sort of lost track of what happened in the last two Bat-movies and there's lots of talk that Christopher Nolan went all "Inception" in the third installment with secret meanings, overlapping themes and "you had to be there" moments. But I'm like a child at superhero movies. Big colors. Big booms. Big muscles. Ta-dah!

But today's news of last night's shooting, which has been all over the internet, has really gut-punched me. Honest to goodness, last night I was thinking of going to our midnight show but thought I'd be exhausted today. I also thought, no kidding, "It would be my luck to be shot in the movie theater. Priest dies at 'Batman' would be the headline in the paper."

Seriously. Really. I thought that.

And then it happened in Colorado.

People are blaming everything from the Tea Party, to gun laws (or the lack thereof), to violent movies, comics and whatever else is facile to explain why this happened.

But for some reason, I thought about it last night. It was something I considered.

I did not have an reason to believe in a reason for it. Rather, I thought if it were to happen, it would be because random violent stuff happens in this world.

I see it at least once a week.

I just have some times to decide where I want to see it. Because it's all over the place.

I am now more bummed than ever to see the movie. The nuns used to tell us to eat our food because poor kids in Africa had nothing. I almost feel bad that I'll be going to a movie that some people never got to finish seeing.

Violence can really ruin almost everything.