Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Holy Week in Oxford

Now that we've roundly handed the Gators their green tails and sent them home, the traditional three day series which obscures our Triduum will not happen this year.
Beautiful people leaving Stations of the Cross. If you're beautiful, you go to Stations.

So pay attention, commit to memory, plug it in your icalendar or whatever. Here 'tis!

Nothing happens today. Well, there's the Chrism Mass in Jackson. This Mass is held in the Cathedral in Jackson. The Bishop is the presider and there is a blessing of the oils and the consecration of the Holy Chrism. I'll let Brad tell more on that. This is just a quick glance. But Chrism smells awesome!
I'm going to the Mass. I'll renew my promises to the Bishop. And notice that I am now one of the balding, old men who I used to snicker at. But I think I'll wear dress shoes instead of nylon velcro shoes. I'm not there yet.

Holy Oils
Wednesday we have our teens leading a Stations of the Cross in the Church. That's at..what? 6:35pm I think? So if you're worried you can't make it at 6:30...chillax. You got 5 minutes. The Stations should be over in time for everyone in the whole state to watch Skylar. 80's night! I haven't heard her selection but think I'd go with "There is A Light That Never Goes Out" by the Smiths  or "Adult Education" by Hall and Oates. She won't do either. Just a hope. Wow...I typed "chillax" and admitted to wanting to hear Hall and Oates. I am the gray, bald old man. I deserve velcro shoes.
Got Skylar fevar?
Thursday. Holy Thursday. Mass is at 7:00pm. It's not a text book "high Mass" but dang close. Incense. Flowers. Decorative cloths. Deacons. Servers. The clacker. Just brilliant.
Vigil with the Blessed Sacrament goes until 10:00pm. Technically it goes to midnight but it's gotta be midnight somewhere. I'm hearing Confessions during the vigil.

Pretty sure Pat and Mike won't be part of Good Friday.
It's an Oxford thing. Gotta know somebody to get it.
Friday. Good Friday. Confessions out the wazoo. Which is a venial sin. Don't touch your wazoo! But if you do...Confession! 11:00am until 12:00pm and then at 1:30pm until 2:30pm.
Stations of the Cross at 3:00pm
Service at 5:30pm. And Brad can tell you more about that than I. No Mass. Service. Deacon Ted is the homilist. Veneration of the Cross. Good good stuff. Catholic stuff.



Saturday. In the morning, at around 10:00am, I am blessing baskets. Then we have a rehearsal for the RCIA.
Then...
Confessions (more of these!) at 6:30pm until 7:30pm. Then the Vigil Mass begins at 8:00pm on the piazza with the Easter Fire.
Lots of Ole Miss students are being brought in the Faith this year. I am proud of the size of the class. I think we have about 26. Not to shabby!

Got the schedule? Good. Not one more peep. hahahaha! I'm a riot.
Easter Sunday: Mass at 8:30 and 11:00am with an egg hunt in between. For little kids, that is. If you can read this, no egg hunt!

Phew. That's Holy Week in Oxford. COME OUT AND JOIN US!