Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Hardcore

A good Jesuit professor once told us in seminary that we should never pray a prayer that we're not willing to stand by. Today's saint, Ignatius of Antioch, is one of the most passionate examples of willing martyrdom for the faith. His letter to the Romans is worthy of praying about but you MAY want to practice caution!


"I write to all the Churches, and impress on them all, that I shall willingly die for God, unless ye hinder me. I beseech of you not to show an unseasonable goodwill towards me. Suffer me to become food for the wild beasts, through whose instrumentality it will be granted me to attain to God. I am the wheat of God, and am ground by the teeth of the wild beasts, that I may be found the pure bread of God. Rather entice the wild beasts, that they may become my tomb, and may leave nothing of my body; so that when I have fallen asleep [in death], I may not be found troublesome to any one....
May I enjoy the wild beasts that are prepared for me; and I pray that they may be found eager to rush upon me, which also I will entice to devour me speedily, and not deal with me as with some, whom, out of fear, they have not touched. But if they be unwilling to assail me, I will compel them to do so. Pardon me [in this] I know what is for my benefit. Now I begin to be a disciple."
Ignatius of Antioch: Letter to the Romans