Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

CATHOLICS AMONG THE CHRISTIANS: GOOD CHEER PREVIEW

Actually, George's neighbors could be CATHOLICS! That guys hairy arms seem sort of Lebanese-y or Italian.
I live in a condo community with mostly under 20 year olds. It's not a bad deal and I get along pretty well over there. They put up with the kindly old man who carries that bag of garbage to the bin instead of drives there. I've even be asked by neighbors for the loan of an egg (at 11:00pm, no questions), a safety pin (for a precariously torn...err..strap on a young woman's Thursday-going-out dress) and even to open a bottle of wine. Heck, I've even given a bottle of wine to graduates (over 21, for those who are trying to get all judgey!). I keeps it gangsta that way.

I suppose Catholicism works in well with college students. Catholics don't have any problem with having a drink now and then. We aren't too terribly afraid of a nice game of Spades and smoking, unless you read one of those new-agey examinations of conscience*, isn't a sin.

Before I launch into an overlong catechism, try checking out GOOD CHEER this year (7pm at the Library off the Square on Wednesday's). We have planned a special series on "CATHOLICISM FOR...." and will answer specific issues that Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Methodists and Baptists may have about us. So learn how you can have a beer with a Baptist fraternity brother and BOTH BE SAVED! (See what I did there?)


*Honest ta goodness, I've seen examinations of conscience that include smoking, running Stop signs and...really...the "Sin of ISM". Now this means stuff like "racism", "sexism" and "materialism". However, me being me, when I was in high school, I got a dirty look from the open-minded priest by adding "Catholicism", "Buddhism" and "Feminism" to the list.