Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Requiem for a Teenager

I was impressed by the lyrics and the sparse music of The Band Perry's hit song, "If I Die Young". It struck me as a disarmingly sweet hymn in the midst of pump and grind summer hip hop. The song is close to quaint in the imagery and the video is faithful to the song.


The Band Perry actually has Mississippi roots. The band, sister, Kimberly and brothers, Reid and Neil, spent some time in Ridgeland and Kimberly was born in Jackson. They later moved to Tennessee and were signed on to Republic Nashville Records after being discovered by Garth Brooks' manager. The band, however, claims Greeneville, TN as their hometown and still maintain residency there. They won the American Country Music Award's "Top New Artist" and "Top New Vocal Duo/Group" awards this year after being nominated for many other awards.

Now back to the song. The lyrics are:
If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors
Oh, and life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even gray, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life
Well, I've had just enough time

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life
Well, I've had just enough time

And I'll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger
I've never known the loving of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand

There's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever
Who would have thought forever could be severed by
The sharp knife of a short life
Well, I've had just enough time

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls
What I never did is done

A penny for my thoughts, oh no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singing
Funny, when you're dead how people start listening

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The ballad of a dove
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep 'em in your pocket
Save them for a time when you're really gonna need them, oh

The sharp knife of a short life
Well, I've had just enough time
So put on your best, boys
And I'll wear my pearls


The question of a young person's death takes on an interesting twist as the singer offers solace, comfort and instruction to those who survive "if she die young". Not the most accurate theologically but more in line with sentimental themes of death, the singer asks God to make her a rainbow so she can shine down on her mother who may think life as gray since she buried her baby.

She then appeals to God again as she desires to wear white as she enters his kingdom. Being a virgin (imagine that being a theme in this day and age), she speaks of the her being as "green as the ring" on her little "cold finger". I suppose she's speaking of being that pure and the ring, an engagement or promise ring, once being gold, takes on a patina after being unpolished for so long.

She then echoes one of the most poignant themes of the song as she recalls the boy who said he'd love her forever only to have that time "severed by the short knife of a short life". Wisely, she says: "I've had just enough time".

This is a powerful statement, actually. Many people talk of people being "cut down in the prime of their lives" or more telling, speak of "not having enough time to do the things they need to do". The song reminds us that we all have "just enough time". The quasi-religious Christian themes echo that God has given us all "just enough time". The writer Neil Gaiman in his Sandman comic series, introduces a scenario where the embodiment of Death (appearing as a goth chick) visits the world. In one scene, a character who has been given thousands of years to live realizes his time has come, he marvels over the length of his days. Death responds:


The 4th chapter of Wisdom cautions us not to be worried over the death of the young:
But the just man, though he die early, shall be at rest.
For the age that is honorable comes not with the passing of time, nor can it be measured in terms of years.
Rather, understanding is the hoary crown for men, and an unsullied life, the attainment of old age.
He who pleased God was loved; he who lived among sinners was transported--
Snatched away, lest wickedness pervert his mind or deceit beguile his soul


Although the song is sweet and perhaps comforting, one of the caveats is that although the souls of the just are indeed in the hands of God (Wis 3), there is still nothing "good" about a young death. I say this because there seems to be a greater acceptance of young people, teens and college age, who either die young due to traffic accidents or mischief to suicides. Life is a gift from God. It is not a cheap gift nor a meaningless one. We indeed all have "just enough time" to do God's will, but we don't get to choose the day nor the hour(Matthew 25:13).

Sadly, I've seen a liturgy for young deaths become more and more familiar. Hopeless grasps at making sense of a senseless death. Teddy bears are placed on school fences. Soccer coaches are dragged out to deliver eulogies. Beers are snuck into funeral home parking lots to toast the dead. And songs are played to remind us of the deceased's happiness in the afterlife.

Hopefully, you can see the value in your life and let God give you the time you need. And, with God's help, may you live a long and prosperous life. Although this song means well, it doesn't speak of God's judgement on those who waste a life or make poor use of their lives. May we never have to hear this song ad nauseum to make sense of a young death for a foolish reason.

But we probably will.